At Rocket Door, we know that your front door is a unique work of art, but the fun doesn’t stop there. Selecting a door connects you to a wonderful world of facts and history:
- Europe’s oldest door was found at an excavation site in Zurich, Switzerland, where the wood was dated to 5,100 years.
- The ancient Roman god Janus is the good of beginnings, endings, and transitions, which makes him the king of doors.
- An English monarch has not walked through the doors of the House of Commons since King Charles I tried to have five of its members arrested in 1642. No need to reach for the calculator—that’s 376 years, and a long time to hold a grudge.
- Legend has it that when Queen Victoria died, the Irish were ordered to paint their doors black as a sign of mourning. Instead, in a snub, they painted their doors in all different colors, which you can enjoy still today in Dublin.
- The revolving door was patented in the United States in 1888. Few people have grown to love them since.
- Many church doors are painted red, as a sign of sanctuary and safety. It’s also a reference to Passover.
- Likely the largest doors in the world are the entrances to NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center are likely the largest doors in the world, at 456 feet (or 45 stories) tall. Are they the slowest, too? It takes 45 minutes to open or close these portals.
- In feng shui, it’s important to leave an open, clean and clear pathway to the door for the harmonious flow of energy.
- There is actually a Door to Hell; it refers to a massive natural gas field crater with a fire that has burned continuously for 47 years in Turkmenistan.
- The best knock is a rhythmic, medium force rap that signals friendly intentions.
- The Doors sold 32.5 million albums in the United States alone.
What role in history could your front doors lead to? Visit the Rocket Door showroom to start your exploration: 1639 E Monte Vista Avenue #L103 Vacaville, CA 95688. Call to set an appointment: (707) 689-5147.