There are tons of replacement doors in Dixon, CA, so how do you choose the best ones for your home? Start with the basics and learn more about the most common kinds of replacement doors and their individual pros and cons. This way, you can be better prepared to choose the best door for your home. The basic replacement door types include:
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass doors are a practical choice. They have a smooth surface that can easily be embossed with a wood-like texture, and can also be made with edge treatments for more personality. Fiberglass doors are pretty tough against wear and tear, and can be painted or stained. They are moderately priced, but can crack under severe impact.
- Steel – Steel doors take up about half the door market. This is because they are relatively inexpensive and offer better security when compared to fiberglass and wood doors. They require minimal maintenance, and are also very energy efficient. However, steel doors don’t resist weather as well as fiberglass or wood doors, and do not hold up well under abuse laboratory tests that mimic strong winds, torrential rain, or long-term wear and tear. It’s also important to keep in mind that steel doors are hard to fix if dented or scratched.
- Wood – Wood is the high-end material that other doors always try to mimic. They are the toughest in the face of wear and tear, and are the least likely of all door materials to dent. If they do dent or scratch, they’re relatively easy to repair. Wood doors, though, can be very expensive. They also require lots of maintenance to look their best.
Beyond these basic kinds of doors, there are a few additional features you should be aware of to make sure you door works well for your home:
- Adjustable thresholds help keep the door weather and water tight over time. Without an adjustable threshold you may need to add a new sweep over time.
- Glass inserts are an easy way to personalize your entry door. Though glass inserts add to the overall cost, they are always attractive. If you add glass close to the door’s lock, think about adding a double cylinder dead bolt for extra security so a burglar can’t just break the glass to get in. You can also add glass to the top or center of an entry door.
- Rails and Stiles are the horizontal and vertical braces on a wood door. Solid wood models may bow or warp over time, so its important to look for rails and stiles made from laminated wood covered with a veneer for extra warping resistance.
Rocket Door, located at 1639 E Monte Vista Avenue #L103 Vacaville, CA 95688, has years of replacement door experience and would love to help you learn more about the different kinds of doors and choose the best for your home. Give us a call at (707) 689-5147 for more information on Dixon, CA replacement doors.