A lot of fiberglass replacement doors in Napa, CA are quite heavy. The weight can be from the door itself, insulation, security features, or added decorations like glass, or a big wreath. While these things are fun and often necessary, this weight can cause the door to lower on the non-hinge side, leaving the door off-balance and you with tons of difficulty opening or closing it.
Luckily, it’s really quite simple to fix this issue. Use these steps to adjust your fiberglass replacement door:
- Identify the Issue – You first need to make sure that you have a weight and balance issue. Looks at the space between the doorframe and the top of the door. If you see that there is a bigger space opposite the hinge side, or that the space by the handle is tight and small, your door needs to be adjusted. You might also notice that the space near the top is tighter than the space near the bottom along the bottom of the handle-side of the door.
- Replace Screws – Start by removing the top hinge. Take out one of the center screws holding the door to the frame, and make sure it’s a shorter screw. These short screws hold the door to the frame and not the wall stud behind the frame. Replace these short screws with longer ones, maybe 4 inches, to pull the door back towards the wall and restore its balance.
- Check For Wiring – It’s a good idea to check for wiring along the stud before you install longer screws. Use a scanner to scan along the door to make sure that the longer screw doesn’t break or penetrate anything important.
- Use Power Tools – You’ll have the most success adjusting your door if you use an electric powered screwdriver. An electric screwdriver is better than a regular one as it will make sure that the screw is securely fastened, so your door adjustment is permanent.
- Double Check – Once you’ve replaced the screws, check the spacing along the top, sides and bottom of the door to make sure they are all even. If not, go back and double-check that your screws are tightened all the way.
If your door needs to be adjusted, you can also contract a door contractor. Messing with your door can be overwhelming, especially if you’ve never done it before. Rather than worrying about hurting yourself or others by improperly installing the door, simply call a professional. This way, your door will be fixed and you will be able to rest easy.
Rocket Door is a door contractor that can help. We offer a wide range of Napa, CA fiberglass replacement door services, and would be happy to help you with your doors in any way we can. You can stop by our showroom, located at 1639 E Monte Vista Avenue #L103 Vacaville, CA 95688, to meet with us in person or to see some door options. You can also give us a call at (707) 689-5147 for more information.
Leave A Comment