Its crucial that you do your part for energy efficiency to not only help the environment but also to keep your energy spending down. But how can you make the fiberglass entry doors on your Elk Grove, CA home more energy efficient?
One easy way is by using Energy Star when shopping for your doors. Energy Star is a United Stated Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, program that helps home and business owners save money, and the environment, through energy efficiency programs, information and technological advancements. One big part of Energy Star’s assistance is their testing and ratings of windows and doors. Their rates and tests help distinguish the most energy efficient options, so homeowners like you don’t have to do the legwork.
The following criteria must be met for a door system to get an Energy Star rating:
- Be made by an Energy Star manufacturing partner
- Pass independent testing by the National Fenestration Rating Council, or NFRC and receive certifications and verifications
- Receive NFRC ratings that meet the EPA’s energy efficient guidelines
While there aren’t and specific construction or technology requirements for Energy Star doors, a lot of them have some features in common like:
- Quality Materials – Certain frame materials like wood, vinyl and fiberglass make more energy efficient products than others as they are tougher against weather and reduce heat transfer.
- Spacers – Spacers keep dual or triple paned glass panels the proper distance apart for effective insulation and noise reduction. Most Energy Star energy efficient windows and doors have non-metallic spacers in the glass as they have low conduction rates.
- Low-E Glass – Low-E glass is coated with a transparent film to reflect infrared light back outside to keep your home cool without over working your air conditioning system.
How does all this information apply to your Elk Grove, CA home?
As there are lots of different climates all around the United States, and each climate requires different kinds of energy efficiency, Energy Star Energy Star split the country into climate zone. The zones are Northern, North Central, South Central and Southern. Energy Star then categorizes doors’ requirements by zone to make it even easier for you to find the most energy efficient options for your home.
Dublin, NH is in the South Central climate zone. Energy Star recommends energy efficient entry doors with the following rating for the South Central zone:
- Opaque Doors (no glass) U-Factor of 0.17 or less
- Light Doors (50% glass) U-Factor 0.25 or less and an SHGC of 0.25 or less
- Full-Lite Doors (more than 50% glass) U-Factor 0.3 or less and an SHGC of 0.40 or less
If you want to learn more about Energy Star and how it can help you find the best Elk Grove, CA fiberglass entry doors for your home, just reach out to Rocket Door. We would love to help you find the best doors that offer energy efficiency, style and durability. Please visit us at 1639 E Monte Vista Avenue #L103 Vacaville, CA 95688, or give us a call at (707) 689-5147 today.
Leave A Comment