Your doors are an essential part of your home, as they both open to welcome in guests and close to keep out unwanted intruders. A good lock is a key element of all fiberglass replacement doors in Benicia, CA. However, there are a lot of different kinds of locks, and it can be hard to choose a good one.
Learn more about the different kinds of locks so you can find the best ones for your fiberglass replacement doors.
- Padlocks – Padlocks are not permanently attached to the door, but they come in a wide range of shapes, sizes and styles. The main kinds of padlocks, though, are combination and keyed. Combination locks open with the correct combination, while keyed locks open with a key. You can also find padlocks with shrouded shackles, making it difficult for the lock to be cut open with a bolt cutter.
- Deadbolts – These are the most common locks for external doors. There are three main deadbolt types: single, double and lockable thumbturn. You’ll most likely see a single deadbolt on the average home, as they have a key cylinder on the outside and a thumbturn on the inside. A double cylinder uses a key on both the inside and the outside for a more secure lock, while a lockable thumbturn combines both styles with a key on the outside and a thumbturn on the inside that can be locked.
- Knob Locks – Knob locks are often installed on residential exterior doors in addition to deadbolts. Some people also have knob locks on interior doors as well. Knob locks should not be used as the primary security feature on an exterior door as they are easily disabled.
- Lever Handle Locks – Similar to knob locks, lever handle locks are often used in interior doors. These locks have a large push down style handle rather than a knob, which makes them easier to grasp and turn. If you’re installing a lever handle lock in your home, make sure you choose one with a high-quality backset to avoid torque attacks.
- Cam Locks – Cam locks aren’t used for doors very often, as they are more commonly seen on mailboxes and filing cabinets. They are available in many different lengths and with a variety of tailpieces.
- Jimmy Proof Deadbolts – A jimmy proof deadbolt is ideal for an apartment or a double door. These locks require minimal modification for installation, but can greatly increase security as they have an interlocking deadbolt that hugs the jamb bracket to prevent it from being pulled apart or forced from the outside. These deadbolts only require a hole drilled through the door for the rim cylinder for installation on a door with an existing deadbolt.
These are just a few of the different kinds of locks available for Benicia, CA fiberglass replacement doors. If you want to learn more, contact Rocket Door by visiting 1639 E Monte Vista Avenue #L103 Vacaville, CA 95688, or calling (707) 689-5147.
Leave A Comment